Brigadoon - An Occasional Corner on the Internet
Designed by Mark Little
South America January to April 2017
Next
Farewell Easter Island
Previous
Most of Mark and Alexa's time was spent out and around Easter Island, instead of being in the township. As a result, not many photos were taken of the town of Hanga Roa. Below is a selection of images from around the township and its environs.
The only Catholic church on Easter Island is church in the Parish of the Holy Cross, founded in 1937 by Father Sebastian Englert.
This photo looks across Hanga Roa Bay to Hanga Kio'e, taken on the slopes of Rano Kau. In fact, Hanga Kio'e can be seen in the top middle of the picture. A bit lower and to towards the right edge is the large artificial Christmas Tree visible in the Hanga Kio'e photo looking back towards the township.
This photo taken from the same location on Rano Kau shows the airport at the foot of the volcano and stretching from the east coast to the west coast on the narrowest part of the island. Just out of sight to the right is the main port as indicated by the research ship MV Atlantis anchored off-shore.

The research vessel MV Atlantis is owned by the US Navy and operated by WHOI for the oceanographic community. It is one of the most sophisticated research vessels afloat and is fitted out fot launching and servicing the Alvin, a human occupied deep-sea submersible.

Our time on Easter Island was coming to a conclusion and it was time to go back to the airport and return to Santiago.
Although it does not look like it here, Mark and Alexa were caught a downpour on the way to the airport and had to drive through flooded streets and airport car part to get to the airport. By the time they were ready to embark, the weather had cleared and it was a smooth take-off from Easter Island.